Monday, December 08, 2008

Part of being rich

Money is one part of being rich, perhaps just a small part, though.

When Danielle and I lived in East Point, we were both fulltime graduate students. Not rich. At least, we did not have much money. What we did have was two cars and lots of options.

If I needed socks, for instance, I could get in the car and drive to Wal*mart and have any kind of sock I desired. Fancy socks, maybe argyle. Duke Blue Devil socks. Whatever socks I wanted, I could buy, and I could buy them very cheaply. Wal*mart stocks a lot of socks.

I need socks. Some things fall in priority when you get a new job and move to Rwanda, so I left America with old socks that have holes in them (not to mention the smell). Part of my problem now is that I don't know where to go to get the cheapest socks of the best quality. The other part of my problem is that, relatively, America is richer than Rwanda. Sometimes richer means more options for cheap goods at low transaction costs.

Please send socks.

2 comments:

  1. I have a sock problem as well. Apparently it's an epidemic in some countries to not have cotton socks or socks that fit women's feet above a size 8. Did you get your socks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Over-zealous (over-generous) moms are already on this one. I have socks coming from Fran and Doris, both in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete